I know I know, where is the heat. Well, it’s winter and really we are just helping you adapt appropriately! It is uncomfortable in the gym when the temperatures plummet below 50 degrees in there, the good news is that by today, it should be restored to normal functioning gym temps and you can now go back to getting your sweat on and peeling yourself free of your clothing, YAY!
But here is a low down on why cold temperatures, not only in the gym, but at home and in the shower can literally help you in your life.
1. It obviously increases mental toughness. Cold things aren’t comfortable but it does create an indomitable will! The cold of the winter actually makes you more mentally tough……look at people from Iceland…crushing life. But really, if you dive into taking cold showers, which I strongly suggest, just waking up each day and doing something that particularly takes a discipline will make you a better version of yourself……remember we like people that “do hard things” try it!
2. More energy. The cold of winter actually produces greater energy and it is immediate. If you even spend just 5 min. outside for a quick walk after dinner or breakfast it will give you an energy surge. Same with cold showers, you will get your butt moving after you get in the morning vs. wanting to stand in a hot shower ALL day and waste ALL THE WATER. (Jerk).
3. Stimulates and burns up “brown fat”, this fat helps control our temperature and produces heat, when cold your body uses it to heat itself…..destroying fat calories…..pretty awesome. You do this when in cold weather and specifically when in cold water. Babies have a lot of it and it helps them regulate their body temp, they are resilient things to say the least.
4. It ups the production of testosterone. Boom, men what more do you need? Ladies what more do you need to make your man take a cold shower? Not much. Literally it is uncertain how much it ups the production but it does, and even small amounts make a direct effect on your DNA and protien synthesis. When you body heat is constantly elevated this is not great for the production of boy things…..and so even occasional exposure to cold bouts help counter this. Plus Russians used to sit out in the cold before lifting comps…..so I’d do it if I were you. Women, how does this help you? Well……aside from the benefits your husband would have, it will also help you with testosterone production which incase you didn’t know……estrogen doesn’t help with the GAINZ of lean body tissue in the gym.
5. It is great for your hair and skin. I don’t know much about this, but essentially bathing and washing in cold cold water allows your body to retain much of its natural oils which is great for deflection of aging and obviously good for hair and skin.
6. You know how you used to think cold whether made you sick? Well stop. And look this up if you’d like….there are numerous studies that show exposure to cold MAKES YOU MORE RESILIENT. It doesn’t blunt your ability to defend itself OR weaken your immune system, it does the opposite! Cold showers do the same, basically help make your immune system bulletproof. You ever think you get sick in the winter because you fight to keep your “precious, delicate” body covered to the max and spend countless hours locked into small spaces with other nasty, germ filled humans surviving at a perfect temperature for the spread of illness and germs? Yep thats why. (that luke warm thing…..its not only biblical but literal you are better to be extrememly HOT OR COLD, luke warm is where ALL the germs live and all the weak immune systems of course.)
7. Boost fertility in Men. I know this is kind of repetitive but these stats are sick. Men when taking hot baths for 3 consecutive weeks were rendered infertile for the next 6 month of their lives! On the counter side men that STOPPED taking hot baths showed a sperm count increase up to 491%. (This info is based on a bath, a shower does not force you to take the same hit in regards to sperm production.) -The study was done at USCF
8. Speed muscle recovery! Cold temps help reduce inflammation and speed the process of recovery. So you athletes that are ALWAYS sore……it maaaaay be beneficial to try it out!
9. Crazy, but can play a role in reducing depression! Not just showers but even cold weather, there are studies that show people are happiest after a cold or gloomy stint because of the appearance of the sun. But if you have nice whether all the time, people aren’t just as happy! When it comes to the shower, it apparently taps into something called “The blue spot” that is the brains primary source for “noradrenaline” a chemical associated with reducing depression.
10. They help you sleep! I know, I know, I just said they wake you up. Fact is they do both, in the morning it gets you moving and quickly. In the evening it puts you in such a place where you want nothing else then to curl up and hit they hay. If you don’t buy it, then try it.
You guys should now have a greater appreciation for our “cold room” training. Ha. But seriously, and also give the cold shower a try. It is not easy and not fun, well not a first…..now I like it. You don’t have to start cold, get in and do your washing under hot water, then slowly lower it and stand there for a few seconds, lower it some more…..you will build a stronger will and tolerance. Look even in James Bond books, he takes what is called a “Scottish Shower” where you start hot and end with a couple minutes of cold, so you know it has to be awesome for you. He is cool, calm demeanor, gets all the ladies, and kills all the bad guys. No big deal.
Row 5k for time
*While 1 athlete is rowing, the other is doing 5 push ups/ 10 sit ups amrap during the 1 minute.*
*partners must switch every 1 min. that passes*
**If athlete is alone, have them do 1 min. on/ 1 min. off rower and get to 2500 m.; still doing push up x 5, sit up x 10 during minute off of amrap.*
****Rowers should be set to count down distance for everyone. This keeps accurate time.****